If you love a bowl of oatmeal topped with fruit for breakfast, you’ll love this crumble that puts the fruit on the bottom and the oats on top. A warm fruity crumble is always a welcome winter dessert, and this one comes with a little kick from crystallized ginger. Serve it with the vanilla bean whipped cream or substitute 2 to 3 tablespoons of lemon curd for the vanilla bean.
PEAR AND GINGER CRUMBLE WITH VANILLA BEAN WHIPPED CREAM
SERVES 6 TO 8
For the filling
3 pounds Bartlett or Anjou pears, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger chips
1 1/2 tablespoon flour
For the topping
1 cup flour
2/3 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal
2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
4 ounces cold butter, cut into small pieces
For the whipped cream
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped out or
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1. Make filling. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-inch glass baking dish.
2. In a medium bowl, combine pears and lemon juice. Stir in sugar, crystallized ginger, and flour; spoon into prepared pan.
3. Make topping. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and walnuts. Add butter; stir with a fork until moist clumps form. Sprinkle over pears.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until topping is golden and pears are tender.
5. Make whipped cream. In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat cream and sugar on high speed until soft peaks form. Add vanilla bean seeds or paste; beat until stiff peaks form.