When friends and families get together this weekend to (responsibly) celebrate Memorial Day, you might want to add this rich pound cake to the menu. Grand Marnier and citrus are the perfect aromatics to flavor it, and olive oil makes it moist and delicious. It’s a perfect recipe for summer entertaining, especially when you serve it with mascarpone crème and seasonal berries.
OLIVE OIL CAKE WITH MASCARPONE CRÈME
For the mascarpone crème
1 (8 ounces) container mascarpone, chilled
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cake
1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup Grand Marnier
Fresh berries, for serving.
1. Make crème. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat mascarpone, cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Make cake. Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 10-inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine olive oil and orange zest; set aside to infuse.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
5. Whisk milk, eggs, juice and Grand Marnier into olive oil. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined. (Mixture will be thick like pancake batter). Transfer to prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until top is golden and a skewer inserted into center comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan and release sides. Invert cake onto rack, remove parchment paper, and then return to upright.
7. To serve, cut cake into slices; serve with mascarpone crème and berries.