As August comes to a close, the fruits of summer show no signs of slowing down — lots of peaches, blackberries, plums, and nectarines available for snacking and baking. This tart recipe starts with a shortbread-like crust and is then filled with peaches and blackberries. (You can substitute blueberries if you like.) The crumble top adds a third delicious dimension. You’ll find other sweets recipes in my cookbook Teatime in Ireland (Buy One, Get One Free) with signed copies available at www.irishcook.com.
PEACH-BLACKBERRY TART WITH CRUMBLE TOPPING
For the topping
1/2 cup flour
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup hazelnuts or almonds
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch sea salt
For the pastry
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
4 large peaches, halved lengthwise, pitted, and quartered
1 cup blackberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Make topping. Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Combine all ingredients in a food processor; pulse 4 to 5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crumbs are lightly browned.
3. Make pastry. Increase temperature to 350° F. Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in food processor until combined. Add butter; pulse 4 to 5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and vanilla and process until dough comes together.
4. With floured hands, press dough onto base and up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Chill pastry in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, or until firm.
5. Make filling. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, and tapioca. Add peaches, blackberries, and lemon juice; toss to coat. Spoon filling into pastry and bake on middle oven rack for 1 hour. Sprinkle topping over fruit and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden.