Fourteen Irishmen would receive the Medal of Honor for their actions during this battle.
The 14 men and their ships:
* USS Lackawanna: Michael Cassidy; Patrick Dougherty -- both Landsman.
* USS Brooklyn: John L Mather aka John Cooper, born Dublin, Coxswain; Sgt. Michael Hudson, born County Sligo, U.S Marine Corps (USMC).
* USS Richmond: William Doolen, born County Kildare, Coal Heaver; Sgt. James Martin, born County Londonderry, USMC.
* USS Hartford: Richard Dunphy; Thomas O'Connell, both Coal Heavers.
* USS Galena: William Gardner, Seaman. Edward S Martin, Quartermaster.
* USS Chickasaw: Andrew Jones, born County Limerick, Chief Boatswain's Mate; Patrick Murphy, born County Waterford, Boatswain's Mate.
* USS Oneida: John Preston, Landsman; Sgt. James Roantree, born Dublin, USMC.
The above picture, titled "The Giant of Mobile Bay," is by Tom Freeman. It illustrates the CSS Tennessee fighting off U.S. Navy vessels.
© 2023 Created by Gerry Regan. Powered by
You need to be a member of The Wild Geese to add comments!
Join The Wild Geese