A Clue for Finding Towns and Counties From Which Your Ancestors Came

Your ancestors who immigrated to the United States filled out form SS-5 for their social security card. They were required to put full place of birth – not just country. They were also required to put the mother’s maiden name. Look for a social security number on any piece of paper you may have, including a death certificate. Even if your female ancestor was not employed, as a widow she needed a number to collect benefits.

Find more help for researching your ancestry.

Dee Notaro is an amateur genealogist based in Atlanta, Georgia (U.S.A.).  Her own ancestral background is made up of a mixture of cultures, including her Irish forebears who hailed from County Sligo.  Dee teaches classes on genealogical research and is passionate about helping others find answers to their ancestry questions.

Views: 877

Tags: Ancestry, Genealogy

Comment by Maureen McMahon on March 9, 2015 at 5:26pm

Thank you - that is great information.

How would you suggest obtaining the death certificate information - to get that social security number?



You need to be a member of The Wild Geese to add comments!

Join The Wild Geese

The Wild Geese Shop

Get your Wild Geese merch here ... shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, and more at The Wild Geese Shop.

Irish Heritage Partnership

Start a Business Today!

Adobe Express:
What will you create today?


Extend your reach with The Wild Geese Irish Heritage Partnership.

Congrats to Our Winners

© 2024   Created by Gerry Regan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service