Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow Wild Geese. In particular, we would love to hear your Irish story. What are your ties to Ireland? Have you or are you in the midst of uncovering your genealogy? What are your particular Irish interests? The arts? Cooking? Literature? Travel?

Please tell us also about yourself. What are your occupations and hobbies? What are your goals and ambitions? Where are you from?

And finally we would love to hear what brought you to The Wild Geese and how can we help you uncover, share, and preserve your Irish Story!

Views: 10565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's an interesting story of your family. Good luck with the publication. It caught my eye because I live in Derry, maybe it would be interesting to consider launching your book in Derry? Just a thought.

My name id Robert. I am a history major and a genealogy geek. I was researching my Mann family line when I made a find. My GG Grandfather was an Irish immigrant around 1880. It really made perfect sense when I thought about some of the little sayings my grandfather would use occasionally. Since that time I have been fascinated with the culture and history  

Robert, we are delighted to have you as part of the family! Mann is considered a German surname, no? What was your GG grandfather's name? And what sayings from your grandfather might you remember, to share with us? Ger

Hey George, delighted to have you aboard. Failte! You asked about

"the unnamed father to Margaret Wilkerson, born in NC in abt 1814 to a father who returned to Ireland" and your search for  more information about "my" Mullens from the area of County Carlow whose descendants ended up in Pennsylvania and Ohio."

I lived in 'digs' in Dublin in 1973-74 in the home of Evelyn Mullan, whose husband worked with race horses. Not sure she's one of 'your' Mullens, but I'm looking forward to learning more about your progress here. Isn't there a Mullen's Egg Noodles in the US, BTW?

There are a lot of other Mullens up in Lancaster County in Pennsylvania who are of Scots descent, also some who are German.  Mine came over from County Carlow in 1816, through Philadelphia:  Edward (my 3x great grandpa) with Patrick and Thomas (relationships undefined); I'm guessing that Patrick may've been the father of Edward and Thomas, and there is a Patrick on the Catholic Qualification Rolls who lived in Drumderry in the 1790's.  Edward had two sons named Samuel and Daniel (born between 1817 and 1820) who were raised in Pennsylvania but moved on to Ohio.  His son William (my 2x great grandpa) has many descendants in Lancaster County.  I've got a good handle on my relatives in Lancaster County, but that's pretty much "it."  Always looking to see if I might still have relatives in Ireland, in particular.  Never heard of Mullen's Egg Noodles.

I'm Lorraine, I was born in Dublin in 1972 but lived in the North of Ireland (Belfast) since 1983, and have been living just outside Belfast in County Antrim for a number of years now.

I love the Irish language and have taken classes over the years to try to learn it - its still an ongoing project...

I love west Donegal, best place to go for a beautiful peaceful break and I try to go a few times a year to get what they call here: "my head showered"!

My family names include Maher & Gilligan, both of Irish origin.  

Was introduced to this site by another member (whom I got to know through involvement with an Irish language group in the area).

Lorraine, I am 'pleased as punch' as some American say that you've joined us here! Love the expression, getting one's 'head showered'! I visited Carrigart and Downings and Malin Head in Donegal. Spectacular and occaionally brooding landscapes! Please help us sustain our efforts by inviting to join friends, family and colleagues who also care about our mission, that is, together exploring and celebrating the epic heritage of the Irish ... worldwide! http://thenewwildgeese.com/main/invitation/new?xg_source=tab :-)

I got to see Dublin, Galway, and everything in between during a 2003 trip.  I fell head over heels in love with Galway city and Connemara; the mountains in the West were totally unexpected, like something out of a dream... The Dream of All Dreams!  Didn't know at the time about my Mullen roots in County Carlow, or I would've ventured down that way.  Should enough money happen to drop in my lap, I'll be making another trip back, this time to also include the Belfast area to look into Wilkerson connections there.

As for Dublin, it's a jewel box of a city, beautiful beyond description with all of the advantages of a city but much more relaxed than places like Philadelphia, New York, or London.

I used to be fluent in German and Spanish but forgot both from disuse.  Presently engaging in a Spanish refresher.  Irish Gaelic is something I'd ideally like to learn... but it'll have to wait for now.

Dublin was my favorite city, it may still be. Haven't been there since '92. San Francisco was my prior favorite.

Hi Josephine here in the US. I am a Speech Language Pathologist. I live at the Shore and love to travel, cook. see Broadway shows and go out dancing.

My maternal grandparents came from Donegal. My paternal grandparents came here in late 1800's. and my paternal grandmother grew up in Brooklyn and paternal grandfather was from Newark NJ.

My first visit to Ireland was April 2012. I also have dual citizenship.

I can't wait to return. I am learning to cook Irish cuisine.

I am currently researching backgrounds of maternal and paternal grandparents. The paternal side has been more difficult. My mother is alive and tells me a lot about her family.

Appreciate any help.

I connected with The Wild Geese through IrishCentral.com

Mention of learning to cook Irish cuisine brought back another pleasant memory of my too-brief time in Ireland (easily the happiest week of my life).  I had never expected the food to be so utterly delicious.  Like so many other things on the Auld Sod, the cuisine is far under-rated.  The pub fare was inexpensive, filling, and *very* tasty.

Cead mile failte, Josephine

If you like cooking, you could make a trip of it in Ireland. There are some excellent cookery schools throughout Ireland. If you ever want a list, just ask.

What are the Paternal names which you are researching?

RSS

The Wild Geese Shop

Get your Wild Geese merch here ... shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, and more at The Wild Geese Shop.

Irish Heritage Partnership

ZenBusiness:
Start a Business Today!

Adobe Express:
What will you create today?

Adverts

Extend your reach with The Wild Geese Irish Heritage Partnership.

Congrats to Our Winners

© 2024   Created by Gerry Regan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service