No Commemorations of the 250th Anniversary of Wolfe Tone’s Birth! Why?

History Ireland is displeased that there are no commemorations of the 250th anniversary of Wolfe Tone’s birth.  Read about it here.

How do our members feel?

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 32csm holds one every year in Kildare. They travel from Sallins village to his grave in Bodenstown cemetary. I believe this year's was on 7 July. Sinn Fein also held one on 16 June, also at Bodenstown:

http://rsf-kildare.blogspot.com/2013/06/annual-pilgrimage-to-grave-...

I loved this quote from Pearse Doherty TD Derry, who spoke at the 16 June event:

“In the Ireland of 2013, the message of Tone is more relevant than ever. Now more than ever, this country needs republican politics. We owe it not just to the generations who have gone before us but most importantly the generation growing up in the Ireland of 2013 and the generations yet to come. Let’s make Tone’s Republic a reality.”

Are any of those Government sponsored Bit?  Arthur Guinness had a stamp in honor of his 250th, why not Theo?

I don't believe the government sponsors any at all.  Any event connected to a United Ireland is not looked upon with any favour by many in positions of influence in Ireland, North or South.  I sometimes wonder if it isn't because bringing focus on the original United Irish would also spotlight the fact that in the beginning it wasn't a religious issue in the North of things. That would not look good for those who have pushed teh division as a religious one

It is up to individual organisations to commemorate the day.

It would be a shame if the politics of the present might prevent us from remembering the history of the past.  George Santayana “Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it,"

And repeat it they shall...look at all of the evictions taking place across the country... the elder being taxed beyond their breaking

How do our other members feel.  Is history repeating its self?

Irish nationalism has long since bee seen as the preserve of Catholics yet Tone was Protestant.  how he envisaged a united Ireland and how 1798 turned out were quite different. In the republic there tend to be very few parades and commemorations of our military past. Most folks in the republic abhor military displays. In my view people like Tone lost their relevance from the eighties onwards. We would rather think of happier times.

we have to pay taxes which should have been introduced a long time ago but the FF government wanted to be popular and lowered taxes and increased expenditure.Savings were not deemed necessary.  People bought homes they could ill afford and now cannot pay their mortgage yet expect a 'write off' of debts. Maybe I will borrow a few hundred thousand and not bother paying it back or only what i choose to pay.

Most Irish people are reverting to an interest only mortgage from what I hear which hopefully in 5 to 10 years the economy will recover enough for them to revert back to the more traditional mortgage.  This is a much better option than eviction.  The true measure will be if it turns out better for their children than it was for them.

RSS

The Wild Geese Shop

Get your Wild Geese merch here ... shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, and more at The Wild Geese Shop.

Irish Heritage Partnership

ZenBusiness:
Start a Business Today!

Adobe Express:
What will you create today?

Adverts

Extend your reach with The Wild Geese Irish Heritage Partnership.

Congrats to Our Winners

© 2024   Created by Gerry Regan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service