Tun Tavern was erected in 1686. In the 1740s, "Peggy Mullan's Red Hot Beef Steak Club" was added to the name of the tavern with Thomas and Peggy Mullan as the proprietors. Robert Mullan (peggy's stepson), most likely used the Tavern as his recruiting rendezvous.
November 10, 1775, Robert Mullan, was commissioned by an act of Congress to raise the first two battalions of Marines. Each year on November 10th, Marines toast the Marine's birthplace (Tun Tavern) on the most significant date in the history of the Corps.
"Peggy died in 1774 and Thomas went on to open a tavern called Vauxhall, at Passyunk on the Schuylkill River, in 1775." This seems strange as according to 'Find a Grave', Peggy and Thomas both died in September of 1774. The plot thickens. Peggy was a proprietor of the tavern Robert Mullan could have gained from her demise? Or perhaps the youngest son of Thomas (and Ann Roberts Mullan), also named Thomas opened the Vauxhall.
Robert Mullan was admitted as a member of Lodge #2 of the Moderns in Philladelphia on 29th March 1762. "Beginning before the War some of the Modern Lodges had switched allegiance to the Ancients, e.g. Lodge No. 4 of the Moderns. By the end of the Revolution nearly all the lodges in Pennsylvania owed allegiance to the Ancients. It is impossible to determine precisely when the Moderns' Provincial Grand Lodge folded, but it was gone by 1785. The Masonic Hall, built by the Moderns in 1755 was sold, and the proceeds were placed in a charitable trust and became the "Freemason's Fuel Fund." Thus, we can say that the "Modern" line was grafted onto the "Ancient.""
In 1751, a group of unaffiliated lodges of mainly Irish membership formed the Grand Committee of what would become the Most Ancient and Honourable Society of Free and Accepted Masons according to the Old Constitutions, now known as the Ancients. This society, which adhered to what it believed to be an older and more authentic ritual than the original Grand Lodge, grew rapidly under the influence of Laurence Dermott, who was Grand Secretary from 1752 to 1771, and deputy Grand Master intermittently thereafter. (As the Grand Masters of the period were mainly noble figureheads, it was the Deputy Grand Master who actually directed the Grand Lodge.) It also benefited from early recognition by the Grand Lodges of Ireland and Scotland."
Mullen is most likely a Scotch-Irish or Irish/quaker name.