Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow Wild Geese. In particular, we would love to hear your Irish story. What are your ties to Ireland? Have you or are you in the midst of uncovering your genealogy? What are your particular Irish interests? The arts? Cooking? Literature? Travel?

Please tell us also about yourself. What are your occupations and hobbies? What are your goals and ambitions? Where are you from?

And finally we would love to hear what brought you to The Wild Geese and how can we help you uncover, share, and preserve your Irish Story!

Views: 10565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Adri!!

I grew up knowing I was named for my maternal grandmother, Honora, and she in turn was named for her mother but until I started doing my family tree last year I did not realize my name went back even further and started with my 3rd great-grandmother, Honora Casey.  She was born in May 1845 and immigrated to America with her mother in 1854.  Her parents were Cecelia Thornton (1829 - 1895) and John Casey.  Honora married another Irish immigrant, William Potter who was born September 1840 and immigrated in either 1858 or 1860.  William's parents were Arthur Potter and Nora Concannon.  William and Honora married in Louisville, Kentucky in May 1863 and had 10 children.  I have found them on every census from 1870 - 1920 but the only reference I find to place of birth on every document I have found, including death certificates, marriage bond, etc, it just says "Ireland".  I'm hoping I can find where in Ireland they're from and the ship manifests of their trip to America.    I never knew I had Irish ancestry until I started my search and I found Irish born ancestors in both lines on my mother's side and one line on my father's side.  My paternal side is from Ulster.  My sister and I both did the DNA tests with ancestry.com and showed majority Irish markers.  It has been very interesting learning about my ancestors. My curiosity has led me to read "The Graves are Walking", "Under the Hawthorne Tree", about the "coffin ships" and anything I can get my hands on to learn a little about their time and what they might have experienced.  I am looking forward to learning more from The Wild Geese.

Wow, thank you for sharing your family Honora!

What a wonderful story that is, I'm jealous you've found out so much. Since my "Wee Ma" passed away years ago, I haven't been able to find out much about my family. Only dribs and drabs. I'll have to save up to do one of those sites and get the real deal about my ancestry and family tree.

Thanks again! and WELCOME! 

Welcome, Honora! Such a wonderful research you've made!  

I was very lucky they settled in a city that maintained good public records (and no history of a burned courthouse).  One of my most exciting finds was William's naturalization papers.  They were handwritten entries in a log book. These are pictures from a microfiche copy.  The first was from 1874 where he stated his intent to become a citizen (his is the second entry and continues to the next page) and the next is from 1877 when he was awarded citizenship.  Women did not naturalize in the 19th century, so there are no records for Honora or her mother. (pictures loaded with 1877 record first)

Honora, we would be pleased to read more about your unique Irish story within our pages. Do you know how to make use of the blog capability each member receives upon joining? Ger

I have been looking around the site, still learning about what's on here.  I'll look at it.

Hi, I am Connie and my great grandparents came from Ireland in the mid to late 1890's. They were Phillip and Caroline Brennan. Some research I have done leads me to the areas around Sligo and Dublin.  We are visiting Ireland next week for the first time. The castle's facinate me!

Hi, Connie, welcome! I'm new here too, planning my first visit to Ireland next year (I was supposed to go in October, but as I'm passionated by Irish History many people convince me to go by the Easter Rising celebrations...).

Welcome Connie! I'm jealous that you are getting to visit!

Be well, --Ron--

Hi, my name is David Lawlor, I've just joined having been told about it by one of the members, Claire Fullerton. I actually live in Ireland. I'm interested in history and writing and I feel that this is a great place to learn more about those areas and, at the same time, connect with some like-minded people.

I'm an associate editor in an Irish newspaper. On my commute into work, I write my own stories. So far, I've written five novels, four of which are published (three of them following a former Black and Tan-turned-republican fighter called Liam Mannion). I also edit books for other people.

I have a blog - historywithatwist.wordpress.com - which explores the lives of the bit players of history. My home is in Greystones, Co Wicklow, where I live with my wife and four children. That's enough about me. I hope I can connect with some of you in the future :)

Attachments:

I am so very pleased to see David on this site! I am a big fan of his writing! He belongs in the flock!

RSS

The Wild Geese Shop

Get your Wild Geese merch here ... shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, and more at The Wild Geese Shop.

Irish Heritage Partnership

ZenBusiness:
Start a Business Today!

Adobe Express:
What will you create today?

Adverts

Extend your reach with The Wild Geese Irish Heritage Partnership.

Congrats to Our Winners

© 2024   Created by Gerry Regan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service