John F. Kennedy • Mother Jones • George M. Cohan
James J. Braddock • Michael J. McGivney • James M. Curley
Victor Herbert • Eugene O'Neill • Ed Sullivan

Views: 2001

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Januarius MacGahan, journalist.

Martin O'Malley.  Musician.  Former Mayor of Baltimore.  Current Governor of the State of Maryland, and future President of the United States….

But he dumped boxplayer Billy McComiskey from his band - and replaced him with Billy's son

Jim…I didn't know that! Back in my college days I would head up to Pat Troy's place, "Ireland's Own" in Old Town Alexandria, VA. to hear O'Malley's March.  Martin was a casual acquaintance, and I liked the band.  I moved around quite a bit after that and completely lost track of him until he popped up as Mayor of Baltimore.  As coincidence would have it, my baby sister married a Maryland State Delegate who is one of his close friends.  The pic below is Gov. O'Malley with my nephew Sam at a bill signing at the Maryland State House a year ago last spring.  My sister is off to the left wearing green.   

LIsa, I should have put LOL at the end of that. I think Billy McComiskey told that story in a humorous way. His son is a fine accordian player as well.

The gov. is the first politician I've ever heard quote John O'Donahue RIP, and that will always endear him to me.

Jim...

LOL!  Thanks for clarifying.  I was scratching my head wondering how someone intelligent enough to get himself elected Governor of Maryland could be stupid enough to dump Billy McComiskey, who is arguably one of the best accordion players in the history of traditional Irish music.

Keep an eye on Martin.  I think we'll see him make a run for it in 2016.  

No Audie Murphy?

The great John L. Sullivan!

Of course, Thomas!  Add to Sullivan other Irish-American boxing greats like Jack Dempsey and James Braddock (who is actually mentioned in the main body of the discussion above).

Be sure to check out this excellent piece on Braddock if you haven't already.

Lt Michael P Murphy Navy Seal, awarded first Medal of Honor in Afghanistan Posthumously

Commodore John Barry hero of the Continental Navy in the American Revolution (defeated to British Warships simultaneously, set a record for prize captures in one voyage, fired last shot of the revolution), appointed commission number 1 United States Navy

Just a few....Mary Lou

Kennedy

John F.

MA

President of USA

Holland

John P.

Inventor of the Submarine

Orr

Bobby

MA

Hockey Player

O’Neill

Tipp

Senator

Barry

Capt John

Father of US Navy

Kennedy

Robert

MA

Senator

Connolly

James

Olympian

Cushing

Cardinal Richard

MA

Flanagan

Fr. Edward

Founder of Boys Town

Kennedy

Edward K

MA

Senator

Burke

Brian

Murphy

Audie

Brady

Tom

McAuliffe

Christa Corrigan

First Teacher in Space travel

Jones

Mary Harris

Kelly

John B.

Olympic Rower

Clark

Mary Higgins

Author

Thorpe

Jim

Greatest Athelete of 20th Century

Sullivan

John L.

Boxer

Flatley

Michael

Lord of the Dance

Meagher

Thomas Francis

Flatley Tom

MA

The Famine Institute (Boston)

Collins

Michael

Astronaut on Apollo 11

Ford

Henry

The Automobile.

Hoban

James

Architect of the White House

Hayes

Cardinal

NY

Looking like we have lot's of new Irish Americans to explore on The Wild Geese next year :)

RSS

The Wild Geese Shop

Get your Wild Geese merch here ... shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, and more at The Wild Geese Shop.

Irish Heritage Partnership

ZenBusiness:
Start a Business Today!

Adobe Express:
What will you create today?

Adverts

Extend your reach with The Wild Geese Irish Heritage Partnership.

Congrats to Our Winners

© 2024   Created by Gerry Regan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service