Once June rolls into July, the strawberry season in most parts of the country comes to a halt. I can never get enough of them though, and I love this tasty combination of sliced fresh berries topped with strawberry purée. The elderflower mousse and brown sugar crumble can be used on other seasonal fruits, so keep the recipe at hand. It’s inspired by one from Waterford Castle’s pastry chef Paula Hannigan, but simplified for the home cook.
White Chocolate-Elderflower Mousse with Strawberry Purée and Brown Sugar Crumble
For the strawberry purée
1 pint strawberries, stemmed and halved
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the mousse
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons elderflower cordial, such as St-Germaine
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup heavy cream (whipped)
4 ounces white chocolate
For the crumble
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
Sliced strawberries for serving (optional)
1. Make purée. Process strawberries in food processor until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice and process until well blended. Spoon purée into 6 martini glasses.
2. Make mousse. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate on HIGH for 30 seconds; stir. Microwave 30 seconds more; stir. Continue heating and stirring in 10-second intervals until completely melted and smooth.
3. In a large bowl set over a bowl of hot water (or in a double boiler) whisk together egg yolks and cordial until light and fluffy. Fold in mascarpone, whipped cream, and chocolate. Spoon into glasses over purée and refrigerate for 4 hours, or until firm.
4. Make crumble. Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
5. Make crumble. In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. With a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut or work in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread out on prepared pan and bake for 5 minutes; stir and cook for 5 minutes longer; continue baking and stirring until lightly browned. Let cool. Store in airtight container until serving time.
6. To serve, sprinkle crumble over mousse and garnish with strawberries, if desired.
FREE SHIPPING STILL AVAILABLE