I found this summery dish of cod and tomatoes at Encore Brasserie in Derry’s Millennium Forum. I love the simplicity of roasted fish combined with the sophistication of Spanish ham and two kinds of tomatoes.
PAN-SEARED COD WITH SERRANO HAM, TOMATO TAPENADE, AND ROASTED TOMATOES
For the tapenade
4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
1 garlic clove
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves basil
3 tablespoons olive oil
For the cod
8 slices Serrano ham
4 (6 ounce) cod filets
Salt and ground pepper to taste
For the tomatoes
8 ounces cherry tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Basil leaves for garnish
1. Make tapenade. Combine tomatoes, garlic, and basil in food processor and pulse 4 to 5 times, or until chopped. With motor running, add 2 tablespoons oil and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Make cod. Place 2 slices of ham (overlapping) on a work surface and spread with 2 tablespoons of tapenade. Place a piece of cod on top and wrap ham around fish. Repeat with remaining cod; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Make tomatoes. Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine tomatoes, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper in a shallow ovenproof dish, cover with foil, and roast for 15 minutes.
4. While tomatoes are roasting, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in an ovenproof skillet. Add cod, seam-side down, and fry for 2 minutes; turn once, and then transfer pan to oven and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cod is cooked through.
5. To serve, arrange cod on plates and serve roasted tomatoes alongside. Garnish with basil leaves.
“CHRISTMAS IN JULY”