Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow Wild Geese. In particular, we would love to hear your Irish story. What are your ties to Ireland? Have you or are you in the midst of uncovering your genealogy? What are your particular Irish interests? The arts? Cooking? Literature? Travel?

Please tell us also about yourself. What are your occupations and hobbies? What are your goals and ambitions? Where are you from?

And finally we would love to hear what brought you to The Wild Geese and how can we help you uncover, share, and preserve your Irish Story!

Views: 10566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am Reg Reggin/Volk from Kelowna, B.C. Canada..a major fruit and wine production area.

My O'Regans from Cork are still a mystery with little info other than a marriage? photo and

a picture of Ballylickey bridge...I have been there.  Names?...probablly some form of Peter John O'Regan

and Annie Morris..left Ireland..just mom and three kids circa 1860s.  Father may have died in Cork property dispute?

My grandfather Peter Ernest O'Regan was born 1863 in Quebec City.  Name changed to Reggin..1870s

i have been to Cork and traced family to Bamtry area..but no specific records..have met 31st cousins!  Maybe!

Reg, you've probably noticed by this time that my surname is Regan. We've always heard our family's immigrant ancestors were from Longford, arriving stateside in the Famine era.

There's an impressive Irish commemorative monument in Quebec City. Many Irish settled there. We visited the province three years ago. Une belle province!

Thanks, Gerry.  I have been to the Irish monumemt in Quebec.  However I am only able to trace my Regans beginning with an 1872 daughter marriage, in Montreal.  They arrived circa 1863 to Canada.  So ..nine years of no records, even in Canada and just maybe photos from Cork?  Do you have anything specific to connect ancestors to Longford?  Tks, again

Welcome Reg!

Nice to see you and Gerry with the connection! Awesome. Be well,

--Ron--

Hello! I am excited to learn more about my Irish heritage! My name is Juleene Jenkins (Sullivan) and I am from Shelton Washington, USA. I have been researching my family lineage on and off for approximately 7 years now, I have some information on family who emigrated from Kerry Ireland, Hugh Sullivan(b:1814) along with his wife Catherine Sullivan (b:1818) they were married in Kilgarvan, Mayo Ireland on Oct. 22, 1846. I just think it would be amazing to find out if I still have family in Ireland today. My family is a huge family with the surname of Sullivan. I have been reading a bit on the Sullivan name here on Wild Geese and have some folks who possibly could be relatives of mine! Thank you for adding me onto Wild Geese! 

You might try mcostell@mayococo.ie..library local histories.  I woul bet there are lots of Sullivans in Mayo currently but they might narrow down Kilgarvan.   Good Luck

Hi Juleene, you could try an online search for Sullivans in Mayo in the Irish Census, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ Cheers

Hi, Juleene,

I think we are looking for the same person (Hugh and Catherine), and I think I have found them! I am in Kilgarvan, Co. Kerry right now, and tomorrow (10am-12pm Ireland time), I'll be meeting with the parish secretary. If by any chance you get this before then, please get in touch, so that we can compare notes. I may not have another chance like this again!

All the best,

Bjorn Wastvedt (apparently, a cousin of yours!)

That is amazing, Bjorn! I bet it is beautiful where you are. The Hugh that I have in my family tree was married in Kilgarvan to Catherine, I also have seen her name in Census records as Chazine. Hugh's dad's name is Michael Sullivan and mom is Ann Leary (which is a question mark). My goal is to find out which side of Sullivan I belong to ( Sulivan-Mor or Sullivan -Beare) I have yet to do a DNA on ancestry to find out further, but that is awesome to find another family member! I can't wait to hear what you com up with. Hugh is my grandpa's great-grandpa. My grandpa Sullivan is still alive and we are very close but unfortunately his parents (Cornelius and Pearl Sullivan) didn't really share much family history. Have fun in Ireland!

Hi, Juleene,

I'll certainly let you know what I find out. Can you tell me more about what you just wrote? In particular:

*How do you know about Michael Sullivan and Ann Leary? I have seen their names, but I haven't been able to find out where someone got those names from. Do you know, or have any documents?

*I assume that by Sullivan-More and Sullivan-Beare, you're indicating two Sullivan "nicknames," which apparently they use instead of Sullivan to keep track of all of the Sullivans. But where did you get those two nicknames in particular from? I haven't seen those, and I'd be very interested to know anything more.

Let's keep in touch!

Bjorn

Bjorn,

I do not have documents nor have I seen any on Michael Sullivan or Ann Leary, they just seem to be attached to Hugh as his parents, and there is always a question mark next to Ann's name as though no one knows for sure if that is really her name. As for the Sullivan nick names I was reading a story about it, here is the link: http://www.osullivanclan.org/history.htm. It gives a lot more information. I really don't have any more info on the Sullivan's than what I've shared. I hope it helps. Yes, let's stay in touch and compare notes! Have a great day!

Wow another connection!

Part of the reasons why this place is so awesome!

Be well and good luck,

--Ron--

RSS

The Wild Geese Shop

Get your Wild Geese merch here ... shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, and more at The Wild Geese Shop.

Irish Heritage Partnership

ZenBusiness:
Start a Business Today!

Adobe Express:
What will you create today?

Adverts

Extend your reach with The Wild Geese Irish Heritage Partnership.

Congrats to Our Winners

© 2024   Created by Gerry Regan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service