Well, Ireland didn't qualify for the World Cup (again); however, we have members here in The Wild Geese community from all over the planet.  I'm curious about just how many World Cup nations are represented here in our community.  

So, if the country of your residence is playing for the World Cup in 2014, please sound off in a comment below with your country and how you think your side will fare in the competition.

If you don't know which countries qualified, here's the full 32-squad list:

Group A
Brazil
Cameroon
Croatia
Mexico

Group B
Australia
Chile
Netherlands
Spain

Group C
Colombia
Greece
Ivory Coast
Japan

Group D
Costa Rica
England
Italy
Uruguay

Group E
Ecuador
France
Honduras
Switzerland

Group F
Argentina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria

Group G
Germany
Ghana
Portugal
United States

Group H
Algeria
Belgium
Russia
South Korea

Tags: Soccer, Sports

Views: 531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll get it kicked off.

My country of residence is Ireland (BOOOOO!), but my country of birth is the U.S.A.

I think we have a solid squad this time around, but the problem is that we're in what has been dubbed "The Group of Death." In other words, the competition we're facing in Germany, Portugal, and even Ghana is stiff.  So, it'll be difficult to even make it out of the group stages.  Possible, yes, but far from likely.  I'd have to think Germany and Portugal will be the ones to advance, though.

I remember in decades ago when the World Cup was hosted in NYC, got very enthused about the US team and the Irish team too, which I recall qualified also. I definitely will be rooting for the underdogs, starting with Team USA.

I'm team USA!  Although our coach doesn't seem to have much hope for us, I think we have a better team than he's giving us credit for.  I think we'll put up a good fight but I think our chances would be better with Donovan in the game.

I live in England, but there is more likelihood that Hell will freeze over than of me ever supporting any English national team, whether it be football, rugby, cricket, pub darts, crown green bowling, or tiddlywinks. That may seem rather churlish of me but at least I haven't gone so far as to purchase an A.B.E. T-Shirt (Anyone But England)

http://slanjkilts.com/mediaLibrary/images/english/95853.jpg

So, in the absence of Ireland from the tournament, I will be cheering for Italy and Argentina.

Sitting here right now watching Australia -vs- The Netherlands.  

Check out the Irish surnames in Australia's squad:

Ryan, McGowan, McKay (this one could be Scottish ... not sure), Cahill, Halloran

Statistics indicate that Australia has the highest percentage of Irish blood in the world (other than Ireland, of course) ... even higher than the U.S.  So it's no surprise to see this many Irish surnames on the Australian World Cup roster.

I was thinking the same thing, that Australia sure had a lot of Irish names.  :)

USA,USA.

Beyond that, I'm rooting for the teams from the Americas, North or South,

RSS

The Wild Geese Shop

Get your Wild Geese merch here ... shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, and more at The Wild Geese Shop.

Irish Heritage Partnership

ZenBusiness:
Start a Business Today!

Adobe Express:
What will you create today?

Adverts

Extend your reach with The Wild Geese Irish Heritage Partnership.

Congrats to Our Winners

© 2024   Created by Gerry Regan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service